Nightmare In Biafra! Sunday Times (London, April 26, 1968, p.12), By A War Correspondent


"I have seen things in Biafra this week which no man should have to see. Sights to search the heart and sicken the conscience I have seen children roasted alive, young girls torn in two by shrapnel, pregnant women eviscerated,
 and old men blown to fragments, I have seen these things and I have seen their cause: high-flying Russian Ilyushin jets operated by Federal Nigeria,

dropping their bombs on civilian centres throughout Biafra...

"At Onitsha - the 300 strong congregation of the Apostolic Church decided to stay on while others fled and to pray for deliverance. Col. [Murtala] Mohammed's Second Division found them in the church, dragged them out, tied their hands behind their backs and executed them".

For record purposes, however, let me state fearlessly that I saw hundreds of unarmed civilians being shot at sight in Benin City when Federal troops arrived to liberate the city from rebel [Biafran]soldiers

There appeared to be a fleeting period of lunacy in which Mid westerners gladly identified their Igbo compatriots to be shot down by Federal [Nigerian] troops.






LETTERS:

I was a year perhaps when my father left to fight in the war..just a baby yet I still feel the aftermath 34 years later because my father never returned...I class myself as a war victim and my soul is lost and will remain lost until the wonderful reunion between my father and me happens... whether here in this life or in heaven...Thank you for your work and pictures they were my first link to the reality...Maybe one on the photos of those brave soldiers going to war had my father in who knows.. god moves in mysterious ways....All i know is I am proud of my Nigerian heritage....God bless all those who died in the war may they rest in peace....

Yours Sincerely,
Grace Mullen,
United Kingdom
January 9, 2000


No comments: